Wednesday, November 5, 2014

3 Months Later

Thanks to Dex in three months I've managed to drop my HbA1c from 7.8 to 6.5. 

My carb counting, psychotic Dex watching, obsessive tracking has paid off. But I still have .7 to go before I reach my goal. Which means some more tightening and fine tuning has to occur. Lower carb diet and more exercise is what I hope will lead me to an even lower more desirable HbA1c. 

With T-minus 3 months to my next endo appointment I've definitely got some work cut out for me, so today begins the start of some new habits. 3 months ago when I embarked on this journey to get my shit together I stopped running and doing all cardio. I was finding that to keep my numbers in a normal range while running I was letting my blood sugar spike upwards of 200. Then while running I'd just watch it drop and drop, no matter how high I was prior to running I would inevitably fall below 60. This overall was not a good strategy but at the time I didn't have to the tools to figure out any other way. These pre-exerices numbers were adding to a very bad HbA1C and the downing of glucose gels was not helping maintain my weight so I opted for a break. I started doing anaerobic exercise in the form of Pure Barre, which has been amazing. I rarely go low before or after and the intense muscle work really has helped with my insulin sensitivity. But I realize the needs to get back in the running game and I'm hoping the addition of Dex will help with this. 

So today's plan is this. 3pm reduce basal insulin to 50%. When I begin my 3 mile run at 430 I'll take 8g of fast acting carbs with another 4g every mile afterwards. 

This is all trial and error so WHO knows it this will work and I'll tweak as we go. My overall goal is to run a 1/2 marathon in 1 year from today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment